SANT'AGATA SUL SANTERNO
Address: Piazza Garibaldi, 5 48020 Sant'Agata sul Santerno (RA)
Tel: 0545 919900
Fax: 0545 38134
The history of Sant'Agata is closely intertwined with that of the river Santerno, an important link between Spina and the Etruria since the Roman times.
Its Medieval castle and strategical location (the river and the crossroad of streets leading to Ferrara, Ravenna and Bologna) made it a sought-after town in the fights between rivals such as noble families from Romagna, from Ferrara and the Pope. The Clock tower incorporates the only remaining piece of the original gate of the fortress, thus the nickname "La Porta" (the gate); its bell is known as the “bell of reason” since 1487 because it was used as a call for public gatherings.
The Archpriest Church is the main church; it was originally a Renaissance church and some fragments of the facade are still kept in the sacristy; it has a Latin cross structure and houses paintings by local artists, amongst which Tasselli (Lugo, XII century) and Orfeo Orfei (Massa Lombarda, XIX century). Other interesting buildings are: the Town hall, Palazzo dei Contadini (home to the cultural centre) and the Villa Patronale.
How to get there
Sant'Agata sul Santerno is in the province of Ravenna, it is 33km from Ravenna, 23km from Faenza, 50km from Bologna and 56km from Ferrara
Tollgates: in Imola on the A14 (20km) and in Lugo on the A14dir (10km)
The town is on the crossing with the main road S.P.253 San Vitale (which links Bologna to Ravenna) and the S.P. 13 Bastia leading to Argenta (FE)
Sant'Agata sul Santerno is on the Lugo-Ferrara railway line
Last update: 08/02/2017 (Redazione di Sant\'Agata sul Santerno)